The Moonkin Repository

Discussions, information and links to all things Moonkin
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:54 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Calculated Balance PvE Guide 4.1.0
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:31 am  

Badgekin
pbguild: Midwinter
pblevel: 85

The detail below is basically a Cliff's Notes guide to PvE Boomkin Raiding updated through patch 4.1.0. Some of it is culled from the main sites that I frequently contribute to:

Elitist Jerks Balance PvE Discussion 4.1.0 and WrathCalcs Discussion are a solid place to get up to speed and then keep up to speed with the ongoing discussion. Outside of EJ, I also skulk around The Moonkin Repository (if you're reading this, you're already here!!!) and MMO Champ Druid Forums.

Again, much of the detail below is mine. However, other parts where it just doesn't make sense to rewrite for the sake of rewriting are direct excerpts from Hamlet's at EJ (linked above). The main goal here is to consolidate a single-view of the more relevant portions of guides that can be found at these sites as well as add my own commentary where appropriate. I'll continue to post / add to this thread as new detail becomes relevant but the above sites are definitely worth bookmarking as well.

Combat Stat Values at level 85:

Boomkin stat priority can be briefly summarized as:

Int > Haste = Hit = Spirit > Mastery > Crit

A great spreadsheet that identifies stat values and allows you to setup gear, reforges, gems and see the effect on your dps can be found here:

WrathCalcs at Elitist Jerks

That said, some more complete detail on each stat is below:

Intellect:
Intellect provides 1 spellpower and 0.00154% to crit per point. With Mark of the Wild, Heart of the Wild, and Astral Leather Specialization, it provides 1.169 spellpower and 0.0018% crit (555 INT = 1% crit).

Hit rating/Spirit:
102.45 hit rating gives 1% to hit with spells. With Balance of Power, 1 Spirit and 1 hit rating are identical for gear selection purposes but, if you ever play Resto at all, you probably want to prioritize Spirit. Along with haste, hit is one of the best DPS stats. However, remember that hit rating over the cap of 1742 does nothing, so you need to reforge hit to other stats if your gear has more than this amount.

Haste rating:
128.05 haste rating gives 1% spell haste. At these values, Haste provides the most DPS per point and is our best secondary stat. I'll devote a section below that drills a little further into haste breakpoints and their effects on our dots.

Critical strike rating:
179.28 crit rating gives 1% to crit. Because crit gives a lower rating conversion than haste, and we no longer have a meaningful haste cap, crit is substantially weaker than haste. At these values, Crit provides the least DPS per point and, with the 4.0.6 changes to Mastery, Crit is now our worse secondary stat. This does not mean it's not beneficial -- just that we should prioritize Haste and Mastery first where possible.

Mastery rating:
With the advent of patch 4.0.6, 179.28 mastery rating adds 2.0% to our Eclipse bonus. At this value, even though Eclipse uptime averages out around 60%, Mastery is now stronger than crit rating.

Stat Addendum: Haste Breakpoints
Although I noted general haste value above, it's worth being aware that haste changes in value at a certain breakpoints. Here's a list of these values with all typical raid buffs. You can also check WrathCalcs spreadsheet that is referred to above to see your exact caps in any setup.

With 3/3 Genesis and Moonkin Form, Moonfire/Sunfire/Insect Swarm get an 11th tick at 1423 haste rating, a 12th tick at 2778, a 13th tick at 4134, and a 14th tick at 5489. When affected by Nature's Grace, the 13th tick comes at 1924 rating, the 14th tick at 3102, the 15th tick at 4281, and the 16th tick at 5459. An important fact here is that the tick rate of a DoT depends only on your haste at the moment it's cast--it does not change dynamically while the DoT is running.

For cast-time spells, now that Wrath is a 2s base cast, it cannot run up against the 1s GCD minimum at any reasonable level of haste (outside of Bloodlust, haste procs). There is a weak haste cap where the GCD hits 1.0s with Nature's Grace active. This requires 1.5/(1.05*1.15) - 1 = 24.22% haste, or 3102 haste rating. The GCD does not hit 1.0s without Nature's Grace until 5489 haste.

****EDIT: There is some in game feedback that the 13th tick of dots happens at 1929 haste with NG. This doesn't mesh with what we would expect the calculations to be based on haste formulas but apparently there is some in-game rounding going on. This rounding may change some other valuations above as well but 1929 is the significant haste mark (for T11 gear) that I'd make sure and stay above.

Stat Addendum: Mastery Breakpoints
With the advent of 4.1.0, Mastery Breakpoints have gone away for Balance. Mastery will now scale linearly.

Enchants/Gemming/Reforging/Professions/Race Selection:

Next, let's talk about ideal Enchants, Gemming, and Professions. BiS enchants for each slot are indicated below:

Enchants:
Head: Arcanum of Hyjal - Revered Guardians of Hyjal
Shoulders: Greater Inscription of Charged Lodestone - Exalted Therazane
Back: Enchant Cloak - Greater Intellect
Chest: Enchant Chest - Peerless Stats
Wrist: Enchant Bracer - Mighty Intellect (new with 4.0.6)
Hands: Enchant Gloves - Haste
Belt: Ebonsteel Belt Buckle
Legs: Powerful Ghostly Spellthread
Boots: Enchant Boots - Lavawalker
Weapon: Enchant Weapon - Power Torrent
Offhand: Enchant Off-Hand - Superior Intellect

Gemming:
Meta: With the advent of 4.0.6, Burning Shadowspirit Diamond is now the meta of choice going forward. It has a very easy 3 red gem requirement to activate and this makes gemming elsewhere fairly simple. Acceptable gems now look like:

Red Sockets: Brilliant Inferno Ruby
Yellow Sockets: Reckless Ember Topaz
Blue Sockets: Purified Demonseye, Veiled Demonseye

Do not feel compelled to match socket bonuses unless they are significant and useful. 20 INT or greater socket bonus is a good rule of thumb but sometimes gemming extra Veileds where you will match a socket bonus in order to fine-tune yourself closer to the hit cap is not a bad thing. Activating our meta is much, much easier with Burning meta as it only requires 3 red gems -- which is the gem we would want to choose predominantly anyway. As with most comparisons, plugging your gear into WrathCalcs and testing different setups is worth your time.

Reforging:
When reforging, remember the stat weights described in the Combat Stat Values section: Int > Haste = Hit = Spirit > Mastery > Crit. With this in mind, my reforge strategy is as follows:

Step 1) Find any pieces of gear that do not have Haste as a secondary stat and reforge haste there. I generally steal from Spirit or Hit first and leave throughput stats alone but I may steal from other throughput stats if a piece doesn't have any Spirit, Hit, Haste on it (say like on DMC:Volcano).
Step 2) After my Haste reforges are done, I take a look and see where I am relative to the hit cap.
Step 2a) If above, I look for pieces with Spirit/Hit that I can reforge to Mastery.
Step 2b) If below, I look for the remaining pieces that have Crit or Mastery on them as possible reforges to Spirit and take from Crit if possible.

I would advise setting your gear up in Wrathcalcs and making modifications there if you would like to avoid paying Arcane Reforger's kids way through college.

Profession Comparisons:
As of 4.0.6, Tailoring gives the best DPS gain.

Tailoring: Lightweave Embroidery has been updated to giv 580 Int for 15 seconds, 20% proc on spellcast, 50 second cooldown. The average benefit is around 155 Int, minus the 50 Int you usually have on your cloak, for an increase of around 105 Int.

As of 4.0.6, Leatherworking, Engineering, Jewelcrafting, Blacksmithing, Alchemy, Enchanting, and Inscription have all been normalized to provide ~80 INT:

Engineering: Synapse Springs gives 480 Int, for 10 seconds out of every 60 (as of 4.0.6 -- was 12 seconds prior), for 80 Int on average.
Leatherworking: Draconic Embossment - Intellect in place of 50 INT (available in 4.0.6) gives 80 Intellect.
Jewelcrafting: 3 Brilliant Chimera's Eye in place of 3 Brilliant Inferno Ruby gives 81 Intellect.
Blacksmithing: An extra socket each in your wrists and gloves, each with a Brilliant Inferno Ruby, gives 80 Intellect.
Alchemy: Mixology (with your Flask of the Draconic Mind or Flask of Battle) will give you 80 Intellect.
Enchanting: Enchant Ring - Intellect to each ring gives 80 Intellect.
Inscription: Felfire Inscription in place of the Therazane enchant gives 80 Intellect.

The remaining professions should not be seriously considered for raiding:
Herbalism: Gives a haste cooldown via Lifeblood, it averages out to 80 haste.
Skinning[: Master of Anatomy gives 80 crit rating.

Race Selection:
This section doesn't need to be long. For PvE, Troll if you are horde, Worgen if you are ally. You gain ~1% haste by selecting Troll (Berserking) and 1% crit by selecting Worgen (Viciousness). Other druid races for both factions do not have throughput racials.

T11 Set Bonus:
Both Druid T11 Balance 2P Bonus and Druid T11 Balance 4P Bonus have very strong value. Druid T11 Balance 4P Bonus in particular is worth ~2k dps on it's own in 359 BiS gear (e.g. if I broke 4 pc and went 3/4 and 2 offset pieces instead of 4/4 and 1 offset piece, I would drop around 2k dps -- even if the 2nd off-piece is better on a per-slot basis). I'll discuss more about how to manage the 4 pc bonus in the rotation section further below.

Talents and Glyphs:
Through Heroic T11, the best throughput and utility setup I've found looks like:

WowTal Balance PvE Raid Setup

EDIT: I've pretty much left this section bare bones and counted on people to trust my one line Talent/Glyph setup link above . . . which isn't exactly fair. That said, I'm not going to go into detailed analysis of each talent either. What I am going to do is highlight the difference between core talents that should always be in spec and those that are optional as well as the rationale behind the final spec that I run with. So to start:

Core Balance Tree Talents (Don't Be Without These):
Nature's Grace 3/3
Starlight Wrath 3/3
Nature's Majesty 2/2
Genesis 3/3
Balance of Power 2/2
Euphoria 2/2
Moonkin Form1/1
Typhoon 1/1 -- this talent point is less about damage and more about push back utility on fights like Cho'gall.
Shooting Stars 2/2
Force of Nature 1/1
Sunfire 1/1
Earth and Moon 1/1
Lunar Shower 3/3
Starfall 1/1

Core Resto Tree Talents (Don't Be Without These):
Heart of the Wild 3/3
Natural Shapeshifter 2/2
Master Shapeshifter 1/1

If you're paying attention and counting, those core talents leave us 5 points short in the Balance Tree and 9 points short overall. So what to do, how to choose? Below, I'll go into more detail on the remaining talents within the Balance Tree that are optional and rank them. Then, I'll take a quick review of the optional Feral and Resto talents as well.

Balance Optional Talents
So, first, we need 5 points beyond core in Balance. What should we take?

Dreamstate 0/2 - This talent is a good bet early on raiding and maybe even beyond. I don't call it core because you will get to a point where you can safely drop it for more utility/throughput elsewhere but it's a good safety net to have if you die or the like.
Moonglow 0/3 - even if we had mana issues, there are better choices than Moonglow. Can't really see putting points here.
Gale Winds 1/2 - with WM buffed and it's radius increased plus the effectiveness of tab-dotting, I'm finding it difficult to justify placing full points here anymore. That said, Heroic Cho'gall & Heroic Maloriak are niche use cases where it might make sense to 2/2 this talent.
Solar Beam 1/1 - this is also a utility point -- it doesn't get used much but, for encounters like Heroic Cho'gall, it has strong value and should be considered.
Fungal Growth 0/2 - I suppose depending on the composition of a 10 man guild, these may be really useful points. In 25, I haven't found the need for them.
Owlkin Frenzy 3/3 - this was not a strong talent in WotLK. It simply didn't proc enough. In T11, it actually procs a good bit -- enough to be worth it in my opinion. Here's a breakdown of what my proc rate and uptime looked like during one week of raiding:

Halfus, 2 procs, 4% uptime
V&T, none
Twilight Council, 5 procs, 15.4% uptime
Cho'gall, none
Omnitron, 9 procs, 22.7% uptime
Magmaw, none
Atramedes , 7 procs, 18.2% uptime
Chimaeron , 1 proc, 2.2% uptime
Maloriak, 2 procs, 3.5% uptime
Nefarian, 8 procs, 12.9% uptime
Conclave of Wind, 2 procs, 4.4% uptime
Al'Akir, 6 procs, 13.5% uptime

Argaloth, 1 proc, 5.1% uptime

Not bad at all -- given the other options to fill out 31 points, 3/3 Owlkin is a fine place to land your points.

Feral Optional Talents
Furor is the only talent in Feral worth talking about. If your intention is to maximize your regen so that you can comfortably give your Innervate away, these can be good points. There is good synergy here with our other primary regen talent, Euphoria as well. I don't see the need to do this but, again, an argument could be made I suppose. I skip the points in my spec.

Restoration Optional Talents:
Blessing of the Grove 2/2 - these points are really in competition with Gale Winds and Furor, which I've already talked through. The reason I take 2/2 in BotG is I like the Synergy with Lunar Shower and, while they aren't core throughput points, they are strong optional points. I do alot of in-Eclipse Lunar Shower spam both single target and multi-target -- these are a nice prop-up for that.
Perseverance 2/3 these points have nothing to do with throughput and everything to do with being low-maintenance dps. 4.0.6 Moonkin form gives us 15% spell damage reduction but it's not bad to add to that. In principle, I could go 1/2 BotG and 3/3 Perseverance but I like to keep throughput up and even 2/3 Perseverance coupled with base Moonkin damage reduction and well timed Barkskin usage puts our overall spell damage reduction in a very strong place. These are optional points I suppose but, especially in Heroic modes, they are very valuable optional points. I'll certainly prioritize them over Gale Winds or the like.

Core Glyphs (Don't Be Without These):
Glyph of Insect Swarm - core throughput glyph
Glyph of Moonfire - core throughput glyph
Glyph of Starfall - core throughput glyph
Glyph of Rebirth - all raid Battle Res should be 100%, no questions.

Optional / Swap-In Glyphs:
Glyph of Starfire, Glyph of Starsurge, Glyph of Wrath all are solid 3rd Prime glyphs. It is situational which is best. Prior to 4pc-T11 I'd say Starsurge wins out. Post 4pc-T11, it comes down to the encounter whether I use Starfire, Wrath, or Starsurge. I talk quite a bit in the T11 rotation section about these two glyphs so I'll leave it at that. Make sure you have these glyphs trained and swap them in/out as encounter dictates. For Heroic encounters, my suggestion for third prime glyph would look something to the effect of:

Starfire: Chimaeron, Atrimedes, Maloriak, Nefarian, Ascendant Council, Cho’gall, Conclave

Starsurge: Magmaw, Omnitron, Halfus, Valiona & Theralion, Al’akir

Wrath: Sinestra

I suppose someone could argue Starfire overr Starsurge or vice versa on any particular fight above but that's pretty much how I handle the glyph changes.

Our 3rd Major glyph, there's really not a strong winner. If you habitually give your Innervate away, Glyph of Innervate isn't bad. I had been using Glyph of Focus on normal mode Nefarian so I can stack on Nef cast Starfall and not draw any adds away from offtank. I no longer use this glyph in our Heroic strat. I was glyphing Glyph of Monsoon on Heroic Maloriak but now with WM buffed so much, I don't really Typhoon. I guess in 10 man, you could maybe make an argument for Glyph of Hurricane . . . eh, I don't know. Make sure you get Rebirth and Starfall and have fun with the third Major after that :)

I won't spend alot of time on minors -- I like Glyph of Dash especially now that rocket boosts are so unreliable. Glyph of Unburdened Rebirth is fine utility. Glyph of Mark of the Wild isn't bad if you have to rebuff during combat I suppose. When I was using Typhoon on H Maloriak, Glyph of Typhoon was useful as you don't want pushback on those adds. Honestly, they're minor glyphs -- have fun with the third one here too :)

Last edited by Teranin on Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:18 pm, edited 30 times in total.
New expansion = old sticky now!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Calculated Balance Pve Guide
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:32 am  

Badgekin

Eclipse Phases and Rotation:

I'll start this section with a video that I built reviewing the Balance Rotation - single-target, multi-target, and AoE (massively multi-target). It gives a good general view of what our rotation looks like as well as showcases some of the better tracking tools for our energy bar, procs, cooldowns, and the like.

The video is one way that I think helps crystallize some of the rules we use in our rotation which I'll also go ahead and review below. I also have full encounter vids of T11 encounters from a moonkin PoV at my youtube channel here: Calc's Youtube Chan. I think these videos go a long way to showing the rotation in action in a way that can't be expressed as well in words. That said, I'll describe the phases and some strategy in text below as well.

Certainly, although Eclipse remains a Boomkin mechanic, it has changed significantly (for the better) since WotLK. There are now essentially four Eclipse phases with the following basic premise (which I'll expand upon more afterward):

Primary Energy Bar Movers: Wrath & Starfire

With Cataclysm, Eclipse Energy was introduced. We basically have our two primary nukes move the Energy bar in a directional heading toward or away from an Eclipse state. Starsurge also generates Energy but I'll cover that later. In terms of energy movement spells, the 4 Eclipse phases look as follows:

1. Pre-Lunar (non-Eclipse state building Lunar energy from 0 to 100 - no damage buff during this state)
Cast Wrath until you reach 100 Lunar Energy and the Lunar Eclipse buff appears. With a mod like BalancePowerTracker, which has predictive energy gains built in, you can know when to, for instance, start channeling Starfire even as say the preceding Wrath that will proc Lunar is still in flight.

2. Lunar Eclipse (Eclipse state with minimum 41 % damage buff (scales with Mastery) to Arcane spells - Starfire, Moonfire, Starfall, Starsurge)
Cast Starfire to move toward Solar. You can fit 5 Eclipsed Starfires at 20 Energy each before you cross back over the zero Energy mark and the Lunar Eclipse buff fades.

3. Pre-Solar (non-Eclipse state building Solar energy from 0 to 100 - no damage buff during this state)
When Lunar Eclipse fades (once you cross zero energy on your Eclipse bar), continue casting Starfire until you reach 100 Solar energy and the Solar Eclipse buff appears.

4. Solar Eclipse (Eclipse state with minimum 41 % damage buff (scales with Mastery) to Nature spells - Wrath, Sunfire, Wild Mushroom, Hurricane, Typhoon, Starsurge)
Cast Wrath for the duration. You can fit in 7 Eclipsed Wraths at 14 energy each before the Solar Eclipse buff fades. Continue casting when it ends to loop back around into phase 1 again.

Basically, in terms of moving your Eclipse bar, you cast Wrath until Lunar procs and cast Starfire until Solar procs. But once DoTs and other instants are involved, thinking in terms of the four-phase cycle helps you plan your casts well.

Starsurge
Starsurge also moves the Eclipse bar (at 15 Energy a pop whichever direction the bar is currently going) and, pre-4pc bonus, should be used on cooldown or whenever Shooting Stars procs. The only notable exception is if it would be the last spell before Eclipse. Then you can hold it up for one spell to cast it with the Eclipse buff as it gets a boost in either Lunar or Solar. Note that if you cast one Starsurge during Lunar, you still get 5 Eclipsed Starfires, so doing this is ideal. But in general, Eclipsed Starsurges are always good, since it does more damage per energy used than Wrath or Starfire.

As an addendum to this, post-4 pc bonus and with the 4.0.6 changes extending the amount of time that Shooting Stars lasts, I have taken to delaying Starsurge to line up with Eclipse procs and the 4 pc bonus. I will still use Shooting Stars procs within an Eclipse but once I am in pre-Solar or pre-Lunar, I will delay Starsurge until I enter an Eclipse phase. With Mastery changes and with 4-pc crit proc, the benefit is too large to pass up.

Wild Mushrooms
With the advent of 4.0.6, everyone should be taking a much harder look at Wild Mushrooms. 4.0.6 brings these changes: "Wild Mushroom is now instant cast, down from 0.5 seconds. In addition, the radius of detonation has been increased to 6 yards, up from 3, and damage done increased by 30%." These changes definitely make WM extremely strong for AoE and even good use for something to drop on the move instead of Lunar Shower spam when not in Eclipse. In other words, instead of overwriting an Eclipsed Sunfire/Moonfire with a non-Eclipsed Moonfire, it can make sense to drop mushrooms while on the move instead and then wait to Detonate until in Solar (preferably as the last charge of your 4 pc). Another use that I didn't cover in my Heroic Chimaeron vid (as it was done pre-4.0.6) is to drop 3 mushrooms while you are -75% hit. Placing the mushrooms is unaffected by this and is a good use of the GCD versus a spell that will likely miss. Long and short, get WM and Detonate on good comfortable keybinds and get good placing them with the reticule whether you are stationary or on the move. With the 4.06 changes to this spell and to Mastery, this is a solid, solid addition to our PvE arsenal now.

Phase Transitions
Pre-Solar to Solar: You want to watch for when your Solar energy is at 80 or higher, so that you know your current Starfire cast is your last one, and queue a Wrath. Again, BalancePowerTracker mod helps visualize this a ton better than default Eclipse bar. Sometimes, a Euphoria proc (double-energy gain) will cause you to get Eclipse one cast early (which even BalancePowerTracker can't predict). There's nothing you can do then; you'll wind up casting one extra Starfire. It's a dps loss to stopcast -- don't do it.

Pre-Lunar to Lunar: Since Wrath gives its Eclipse energy upon landing, it's a bit trickier to time the swap to Starfire correctly. If your Lunar energy as you start a Wrath is 74 or higher, it will be your last Wrath (because the one in the air will give 13 energy when it lands). Do your best to avoid casting extra spells beyond what's necessary to proc Eclipse. Again, beating a dead horse, but BalancePowerTracker makes this a ton easier -- go get the mod if you play Balance at all.

Delay of proc recognition and best first cast once entering Eclipse:
I usually don't have dots that have just dropped and/or need refreshed when I'm entering Eclipse. Because of this, usually my natural first cast is whichever of Wrath/Starfire is the Eclipse amped nuke or Starsurge if it's up. That said, a couple things to be aware of on Eclipse entry:

a) if your dots did just expire and you have to refresh them, it still is worth making your first cast an Eclipse amped nuke. This is due to the lag on recognition of the Eclipse proc. If you cast an instant like Insect Swarm right after the proc, there is a good chance the instant will be recognized before the Eclipse and you won't trigger Nature's Grace with that dot cast.

b) In the same vein, if you have a Shooting Stars proc you are trying to carry into an Eclipse, it's best to hard cast a nuke before you use that as well as the Starsurge may not benefit from the Eclipse state if you cast it immediately.

c) If Starsurge is off cooldown (even when not a Shooting Stars proc), I still am very tentative on making it my first cast in Lunar eclipse. This is mainly due to the fact that I am hard casting my first Lunar nuke while the Wrath that will proc Lunar is still in the air. Starsurge cast time is often too short and goes off right before the Lunar proc is recognized. So in Lunar, Starfire is my first cast, then Starsurge if it is up. On a Solar proc however, Starfire doesn't have travel time, so I absolutely can queue a cast-time Starsurge as my first Solar spell (though as noted above, an instant Shooting Stars proc in Solar may not get the benefit so I will hard cast a Wrath first in that case).

As a final note, it is very much worth being aware that this same lag issue on Eclipse entry which can cause an immediate instant cast to not benefit from Eclipse can be used to our advantage on Eclipse exit. As an example, let's say that I'm at 5 Lunar Energy and my current Starfire cast will exit me from the Eclipse (crossing me over zero and putting me at 15 Solar). If I immediately follow that Starfire with an instant cast (say Moonfire or a Shooting Stars Starsurge), that instant cast spell WILL also benefit from Lunar Eclipse because it gets in before everything catches up and I am recognized as being outside of Eclipse. This is a way to get an "extra" Eclipse-buffed cast in -- fair is fair, lag to the negative on way in, lag to the positive on the way out.

DoT Refreshing
Compared to WotLK, our DoT's are far stronger now. You want to do your best to maintain very high uptime on both of them. Typically, the only time you will hold up recasting of a DoT is if it falls off and the corresponding Eclipse is coming up very soon--you might wait one (two casts maximum) and refresh at the beginning of Eclipse. If both DoT's are coming up at around the same time when you start Eclipse, remember that Nature's Grace will only affect the second one, so you want to remember to use Insect Swarm first (because Moonfire/Sunfire is stronger than IS under either Eclipse).

It is also worth noting that Cataclysm changed the way DoT refreshing works--when you refresh a currently ticking DoT, you no longer waste a partial tick. Significantly, if you refresh a DoT when it has only one tick remaining, there is no loss at all. This means the optimal time to refresh a DoT is during its last tick, thereby maintaining true 100% uptime.

DoT ticks use your spellpower, haste, and +% damage (e.g. Eclipse) values from the moment the DoT was cast--they do not update in real time until the next time you cast the DoT. Crit chance of the ticks, on the other hand, does change dynamically if you gain or lose crit buffs while the DoT is ticking.

Your dot casts are also what proc Nature's Grace (NG), which is a significant haste gain that we should maintain around 60% uptime. However, there is no reason to refresh dots as soon as you enter Eclipse -- especially not if you would significantly clip the dot by doing so. As long as you refresh your dots before exiting the Eclipse (crossing zero energy), you will still get Eclipse buffed dots for the duration as well as get full use of the Nature's Grace haste proc. The video I linked above gives a variety of dot refresh scenarios throughout if you pay attention to my dot timers and Eclipse bar.

The key thing to remember is, as long as you refresh your dots before you cross zero energy and exit the eclipse, you will accomplish the three things you need to:

1) a set of eclipse amped dots

2) high uptime on dots without unnecessary clipping

2) 15 second NG proc.

NG uptime is not impacted positively or negatively by refreshing early or late in an Eclipse. The two things that really affect NG uptime are your haste and whether or not you are able to keep hard casting to move your energy bar. As long as you get 15 seconds of NG time each traverse of the bar AND don't clip the prior NG buff with the new NG, you will achieve the same uptime whether or not you refresh dots / proc NG early or late.

Long Duration Cooldowns
Starfall: Prior to 4 pc T11, If possible, cast this at the beginning of Lunar Eclipse. But depending on your haste and other factors, your cycle might be too short to use Starfall during Lunar each time. In that case, use it on cooldown. In fights which occasionally have multiple targets up at once, save Starfall for those times. After 4 pc T11, see my notes in the rotation changes section below.

Force of Nature: use this as many times as possible in a given fight. If you know when Bloodlust/Heroism is coming, try to cast this very soon after so that the Treants get the benefit for their full duration (but not if this requires waiting so long that you can't use it as many times during the encounter). There's no special benefit for having a spellpower buff active at the moment you cast this; the Treants' attack power changes dynamically with your spellpower. As you learn each fight, pay attention to things that kill the Treants and time your cast to avoid them if possible.

Eclipse Energy Decay Prevention and You
In beta, Blizzard introduced a feature that prevented Eclipse energy from resetting. This is generally good but it does cause situations where you may enter a boss fight in a non-ideal Eclipse state / direction. With pre-planning, you can manipulate your Eclipse bar on trash fights to allow you to start an encounter with ideal Eclipse bar position and direction. That said, if after trash you are at a bad position or direction, you can always double-respec to reset your Eclipse energy to zero and your Eclipse direction to neutral.

As of 4.0.6, Blizzard did fix the issue where you would retain your Eclipse direction after death. Our Eclipse energy is still reset to zero as before but we now also have our energy direction set to neutral and can go either direction to start without playing the double-respec games we had to prior to 4.0.6. This is a very welcome change.

Since I am talking about Eclipse direction for openers, let me try to answer a common question that goes something to the effect of "What is the best direction to go when starting a fight?":

As it is with many things in life, it's not going to be an "always-head-this-way" answer or at least it shouldn't be. Many times, what direction I head has to do with understanding the timings of the encounter, when significant add phases will be coming, and what phase I want to be in when they do. Maloriak for instance I will always head Lunar first because the time it takes to go from 0 to Lunar and then traverse all the way back to Solar lines up incredibly well with when Black Phase adds spawn . . . and I absolutely want to be in Solar for the duration of Black Phase.

On other fights, it may make sense to head Solar first -- it really just depends. All things being the same, if there are no timing considerations where what phase I'm in matters, I'm most likely to head to Solar first due to trinket and other profession cooldowns proc'ing INT early and Solar having both dots getting a double-amp from not only the INT proc but also Eclipse.

Extending Eclipse Phases
The above section may make energy decay prevention / energy retention seem like a nuisance. However, you can very much use this feature to your advantage as well (especially where predictable add phases and / or movement are concerned). Generally speaking your goal with Eclipse phases is to keep moving through them as quickly as possible thus proc'ing Nature's Grace more frequently and increasing the uptime of this haste benefit. Around ~60% uptime is reasonable.

However, there are times when you know that adds are coming in where you may delay your exit from a Lunar or Solar Eclipse. One way you delay your exit is stop casting your energy moving spells (Starfire, Wrath, Starsurge) and instead do some repeated Moonfire/Sunfire spam (depending on which Eclipse you are sitting in) which will be buffed up by Lunar Shower. The benefit of this is, when the adds do spawn, you will be able to cast an Eclipse amped Starfall (if in Lunar) or use "Solar Cleave" if in Solar (Solar Cleave methodology is described later in the AoE section). This is also worthwhile if you know there will be extended movement incoming (such as in an Atramedes air phase) where again your dps will be much higher if an Eclipse is propping up your Lunar Shower. Moonfire/Sunfire spam.

In both cases, I'm not advocating you extend an Eclipse unnaturally long (anything over 10 seconds or so and you probably should have just kept hard casting into the subsequent Eclipse and used that school for the AoE). This is definitely a valuable tactic when used correctly however.

4 PC T11 Rotation Changes
Druid T11 Balance 4P Bonus provides a very strong dps benefit to Boomkin (on the order of ~2k sustained dps). However, it does take some rotation changes. I've included a video below that goes through the differences and how to maximize the value of the bonus:

That said, there are some key things to be aware of and to change in your rotation once you have 4 pc T11:

Dot ticks benefit from the crit but do not consume a charge. The dot will adjust dynamically to the bonus.
Moonfire/Sunfire initial hits however do eat a charge.
Each star from Starfall consumes a charge of the buff
Hurricane ticks do NOT consume charges.

So, with that understood, here is how we handle dot refreshes / rotation in each Eclipse pre-4 pc and post-4 pc for comparison.

Solar Eclipse Changes
On Solar Eclipse, (assuming dots need to be refreshed) my pre-4pc T11 cast order has been:
Wrath (or SS if up), IS, Sunfire, Wrath, Wrath

Post 4-pc T11 (again, assuming dots are falling off and need to be refreshed), it will have to look more like:
Wrath (or SS if up), IS, Wrath, Wrath, Wrath, Sunfire.

There is an extra Wrath in there that won't benefit from the crit but is cast to do something with the GCD because, if you cast Sunfire after the third hard cast spell Sunfire would hit before Starsurge/Wrath travel time and consume the buff. It is worth noting, you only need to modify your Solar rotation if the dots are about to expire/have just expired. In some cases, the dots wouldn't be due for refresh and there is no substantial change. The video above shows these changes put into practice.

Some notes on Wild Mushroom and 4 pc T11 from a poster at EJ that has tested them:

Quote:
I played around with it a little during Chimaeron heroic last night, and mushrooms definitely consume charges of the 4 set, at a rate of one per mushroom (not one per cast of detonate), but it would seem that if you detonate 3 mushrooms with one charge remaining, all three benefit from that one charge. I tested this on a Raider's Training Dummy by laying three mushrooms (while the 4 set buff was not active) and detonating them all together when there was one charge of the buff left.

This has been verified. The last charge of your 4-pc bonus is a good time to pop Detonate OR on a gimmick fight like H Maloriak Green Phase, it's fine to consume all three 4 pc charges for 100% crit. Usually though, the final charge or after all charges are gone is the most ideal time to Detonate.

Lunar Eclipse Changes
Due to Starfall, Lunar rotation will get modified every time with 4 pc T11.
On Lunar Eclipse, (assuming dots need to be refreshed) my pre-4pc T11 cast order has been:
Pop Starfall as my final Wrath to trigger Lunar is in flight. Then Starfire (or Starsurge if up), IS, Moonfire, Starfire, Starfire

Post 4-pc T11 (again, assuming dots are falling off and need to be refreshed), it will have to look more like:
Starfire (or Starsurge if up), IS, Starfire, Starfire, Starfall, Moonfire

It is worth noting that this will take us to anywhere from 45 to 40 Lunar Energy remaining before we cast Starfall. Even with Moonfire cast after, we might get at best 50% of Starfall's 10 second duration under Lunar Eclipse benefit. Due to this, my general advice post 4 pc T11 is to cast Starfall on cooldown anytime it's up (obviously outside of the 8 second 4 pc bonus window) and reglyphing Glyph of Starfire or Glyph of Wrath in place of Glyph of Starsurge. That said, on multi-target fights, we can pop Starfall this late in Lunar and then use some GCDs to place Mushrooms or the like. Glyphing Starsurge in these situations can still be the highest throughput glyph to use for our third Prime even post 4 pc T11.

UPDATE: As an alternate to the above rotation changes with 4 pc T11, I have also come up with a slightly different variation using Glyph of Starfire instead of Glyph of Wrath. The same rules apply regarding not casting Starfall or Moonfire/Sunfire before charges are consumed but now there is a good chance you will maintain much higher dot uptime. I describe and demonstrate this alternative in the video below:

Rotation changes aside, 4 pc T11 is exceedingly strong for us -- especially if we make the modifications to our rotation described above to maximize it's effects.

4.0.6 Starsurge Delay Cast Methodology for 4 pc T11
Prior to 4 pc T11 and 4.0.6 mastery buff, my rule of thumb was to use Starsurge on cooldown or on Shooting Stars proc immediately with no delay. The most I would delay is a single cast (maybe two max) if I was about to enter an Eclipse.

With 4.0.6 mastery buff, 4 pc T11, and 12 second Shooting Stars proc, I started playing with delaying Starsurge to either 1st or 2nd cast in each Eclipse. By doing this, the loss is I will fit in fewer Starsurges per time period, and perhaps have slightly slower energy gain per time period as well. The gain is my average Stasurge hit/crit goes up substantially. I have gotten my Starsurge overall crit rate upwards of 65-70% using a delay methodology. Starsurge just scales extremely well so even when I get in fewer Starsurges versus a prompt-cast methodology, my overall Starsurge damage is higher as is my overall dps when I delay-cast into the 4 pc bonus charges.

I am aware I'm replacing a guaranteed Wrath/Starfire crit with a Starsurge crit by doing this . . . but Starsurge hits a good bit harder than Wrath or Starfire on crits (even after the 20% nerf in 4.1.0).

I'm also aware that l lose some Shooting Stars procs - but the only ones I lose are non-Eclipsed Shooting Stars proc as I will always use a Shooting Stars proc within an Eclipse. Also, with the extended 12 sec duration on Shooting Stars proc that came in 4.0.6, I don't necessarily lose the proc but only delay my use of it -- there is risk exposure yes but only loss if another proc hits before I use that one which happens but somewhat rarely in that time window.

Also, what I risk losing is a non-Eclipsed Starsurge which doesn't hit very hard even when critting. At any rate, my findings are the delay to is worth it as it increases both overall Starsurge damage and overall dps. My advice for 4 pc T11 is that a delay cast Starsurge methodology will work best. This advice is only once you have the 4 pc bonus. Prior to 4 pc, I'd stick with a prompt cast Starsurge methodology.

AoE Strategies:

As it regards AoE, we should always work to be within an Eclipse for significant add phases. In a best case scenario, we will prefer to be specifically within Solar. I'll outline what AoE should look like below:

Solar Cleave
What I term "Solar Cleave" is essentially the way we can use the large Nature Damage buff from Solar Eclipse together with our skills to do maximum damage across multiple enemies. It is essentially our cleave. Solar Cleave assumes you are in Solar Eclipse and that you extend that Solar Eclipse for the duration of the AoE cycle. Post 4.0.6, Solar Cleave basically looks different depending on how long adds will live.

For short-lived adds, 3 x Wild Mushroom, Wild Mushroom:Detonate, tab-dot 6-7 x Sunfire, 3 x Wild Mushroom, Wild Mushroom: Detonate will often be enough to drop them, with perhaps a few extra tab-dot Sunfire for final clean-up. Something like Poison adds on Omnotron fits in this category. Starfall can be used here as well if desired.

For longer-lived adds, 3 x Wild Mushroom, Wild Mushroom: Detonate, use next 6-7 GCDs to tab-dot Sunfire, 3 x Wild Mushroom, Wild Mushroom: Detonate, use next 6-7 GCDs for tab-dot of Sunfire plus some tab-dot Insect Swarm if all targets have Sunfire on them, 3 x Wild Mushroom, Wild Mushroom: Detonate, next 6-7 GCDs on Sunfire plus some Insect Swarm if all targets have Sunfire on them, rinse, wash, repeat until the adds are down. Starfall (although not buffed by Solar) can and should still be used here on cooldown. You can also use one of the tab-dot GCDs for Typhoon though you need to keep in mind whether knockback is or isn't desired on that encounter and glyph Glyph of Typhoon if appropriate.

It is worth noting and emphasizing that, for Solar Cleave methodology:

a) Insect Swarm should only be applied if Sunfire is up on all targets AND the targets you are applying it to have >12-15 seconds to live.
b) While Solar-amped Sunfire does very solid damage, 3 x Wild Mushroom, Wild Mushroom: Detonate needs to happen as close to the 10-second cooldown as possible. If you are slow on tab-dotting and/or WM placement, then only fit in perhaps 5 x tab-dot Sunfire per cycle. Mushrooms are the heavy damage dealer here and the priority should always be with getting a 3-Mushroom Detonate off every 10, and then supplement that with as much Sunfire / Insect Swarm as you can without delaying the next Detonate.

Finally, an observant reader may notice that I did not include Hurricane. At the moment, it's not a terribly good spell from a coefficient or mana efficiency perspective. This is not to say I never use it. It can be appropriate for Heroic Cho'gall later add phases (perhaps with Glyph of Hurricane if your raid comp merits it). It can also be appropriate for Green Phase Maloriak if you line it up well with your 4 pc bonus (though you will need to a) have already pre-placed 3 Mushrooms and b) break the Hurricane channel early to ensure you get your WM Detonate off before 4 pc bonus expires). Other than that though, until/if/when Blizzard makes fundamental changes, Hurricane will likely remain a very niche spell.

Below is a vid of Solar Cleave AoE in action:

Lunar Cleave
Lunar Cleave is essentially a much watered-down version of Solar Cleave that is used during Lunar Eclipse as we have fewer and also less powerful tools that benefit from the Arcane damage buff that Lunar provides. Similar to Solar Cleave, Lunar Cleave assumes you are in Lunar Eclipse and that you extend that Lunar Eclipse for the duration of the AoE cycle.

Lunar Cleave basically looks like Starfall followed by alot of tab-dot Moonfire for short-lived adds. For longer lived adds, some tab-dot Insect Swarm can also be added in if all targets have Moonfire on them AND if the adds have longer than ~12-15 seconds to live. While Lunar Cleave is not nearly as ideal as Solar Cleave, it's still better than non-Eclipsed damage. Do whatever you can to be in one Eclipse or the other when adds come up. Proper planning and raid event awareness will go a long way toward improving your success.

Last edited by Calculatéd on Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:39 am, edited 42 times in total.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:32 am  

Badgekin

Raid BiS Gear Lists
Here are BiS gear lists from pre-raid iLVL 346 to endgame iLVL 372/379 plus Wrathcalc reforge output. I do want to note that BiS as a concept is sometimes flawed. Best in Slot does not mean it's the best overall piece in the context of a full gear setup. Also, with reforging, there are far more variations to get to very similar end stats. This is one of the main reasons I'm also including WrathCalc output in this section as well so you can see how to modify the gear toward an overall setup.

At any rate, I will use the term BiS as it's the common term people think of when thinking about gear wish lists but definitely keep in mind the above.

Quick and Dirty Trinket Ratings:

Because trinkets come up more than any other gearing question, I'll start out by stack ranking them:

If you plug iLVL 359 and below trinks into WrathCalcs, they'll rate out as:
1. Darkmoon Card: Volcano
2. Figurine - Jeweled Serpent
3. Theralion's Mirror
4. Heart of Ignacious
5. Vibrant Alchemist Stone

I *mostly* agree with that though I'd put Mirror over JC personally. Even Wrathcalcs has those 2 exceptionally close (12 dps apart).

When we include iLVL 372 versions -- Alch and JC trinkets basically fall off the map. What you're left with is:
1. Darkmoon Card: Volcano
2. Heroic Theralion's Mirror
3. Heroic Heart of Ignacious

I'd also like to add an important footnotes / asterisks to this trinket list:

*Alchemy trinket may jump above others if you are near a significant haste break point so be aware. That said, at higher levels of gear, we should be >2000 haste even without the Alchemy trinket so this should be a very isolated case.

**For progression content, do not forget about the following two trinkets:

Mirror of Broken Images - this trinket can make a huge impact on mitigating predictable damage events. If you don't have the rep / commendations for this trinket yet, go start farming it. If you do both island dailies, you can build up enough rep/commendations in very short order.

Sorrowsong - there are cases where this trinket (while not the best for your front-to-back full encounter throughput) adds increased throughput at exactly the times you need it during critical burn-phases.

PRE-RAID 346 GEAR / 359 CRAFTED:

Head (Engineering): Camouflage Bio-Optic Killshades
Head (non-Engineering): Cluster of Stars
Neck: Quicksilver Amulet, or Yellow Smoke Pendant is better if you have rep and Dorian's Lost Necklace is best if avail and you have funds
Shoulder: Mantle of Bestilled Winds or Hide of Chromaggus is better if avail and you have funds
Cloak: Solar Wind Cloak or Ritssyn's Ruminous Drape is better if avail and you have funds
Chest: Robes of Forgetfulness or Chestguard of Nature's Fury is better if you have funds to get it crafted
Bracer: Armbands of Change preferably or iLVL 346 Oasis Bracers would be an alternative if Blizzard could fix drop issue. Non-heroic version (iLVL 333 Oasis Bracers) do exist. Farm Armbands imho.
Hands: Deep Delving Gloves
Belt: Withered Dream Belt; Lightning Lash also very solid if you don't have rep
Legs: Leggings of Clutching Roots
Feet: Decapod Slippers
Ring 1: Signet of High Arcanist Savor if avail and you have funds. Otherwise Abandoned Dark Iron Ring, Diamant's Ring of Temperance, Rose Quartz Band (same stats, take your pick)
Ring 2: Lavishly Jeweled Ring, Band of Lamentation, Band of Singing Grass (very similar stats, Lavish is better than the second two due to red socket and 10 hit bonus but the others will do as well).
Trinket 1: Darkmoon Card: Volcano – if you can't afford Darkmoon, then: Witching Hourglass.
Trinket 2: Gale of Shadows until you get the rep for: Stump of Time
Profession Trinkets: As noted in trinket section, if you are a JC or an Alchy, Figurine - Jeweled Serpent and/or Vibrant Alchemist Stone are good options.
Main Hand: Scepter of Power or Chelley's Staff of Dark Mending if avail and you have funds
Off-hand: Apple-Bent Bough
Relic: Relic of Norgannon or Relic of Eonar depending where you are at versus hit cap.

NORMAL RAID 359 GEAR:

Head (Engineering): Camouflage Bio-Optic Killshades
Head (non-Engineering): Stormrider's Cover
Neck: Valiona's Medallion
Shoulder: Stormrider's Shoulderwraps
Cloak: Drape of the Twins
Chest (Engineering): Stormrider's Vestment
Chest (non-Engineering): Scorched Wormling Vest
Bracer: Manacles of the Sleeping Beast
Hands: Stormrider's Gloves
Belt: Withered Dream Belt -- Gale Rouser Belt of the Undertow or Feverflare are slightly better if you get lucky on random enchant.
Legs: Stormrider's Leggings
Feet: Treads of Hideous Transformation until you've bought 4 pc T11, Fading Violet Sandals are better but not at the expense of delaying 4 pc – Valor points are precious to begin.
Ring 1: Twined Band of Flowers -- Planetary Band of the Undertow or Feverflare would be a better fit but random enchantment makes for a fun time getting them.
Ring 2: Signet of the Fifth Circle
Trinket 1: Darkmoon Card: Volcano
Trinket 2: Theralion's Mirror due to Mastery changes in 4.0.6 and hidden cooldown slower-stacking of HoI post-4.0.6, I have moved Mirror to 2nd BiS.
Main Hand: Incineratus
Off-hand: Book of Binding Will
Relic: Relic of Norgannon or Relic of Eonar depending where you are at versus hit cap.

WrathCalcs Reforging Output for iLVL 359 BiS (Engineering)

HEROIC RAID 372 / 379 GEAR:

Head: Stormrider's Cover
Neck: Valiona's Medallion
Shoulder: Stormrider's Shoulderwraps
Cloak: Drape of the Twins pre-Sinestra and Shroud of Endless Grief Sinestra
Chest: Scorched Wormling Vest
Bracer: Manacles of the Sleeping Beast
Hands: Stormrider's Gloves
Belt: Belt of the Nightmare -- Gale Rouser Belt of the Undertow or Feverflare are outstanding / better if you are lucky enough on the random enchant.
Legs: Stormrider's Leggings
Feet: Treads of Hideous Transformation pre-Sinestra and Nightmare Rider's Boots Sinestra
Ring 1: Security Measure Alpha -- Planetary Band of the Undertow or Feverflare again are an outstanding replace if you are lucky enough on the random enchant.
Ring 2: Signet of the Fifth Circle
Trinket 1: Darkmoon Card: Volcano
Trinket 2: Theralion's Mirror - due to Mastery changes in 4.0.6 and hidden cooldown slower-stacking of HoI post-4.0.6, I have moved Mirror to 2nd BiS.
Main Hand: Incineratus
Off-hand: Book of Binding Will

WrathCalcs Reforging Output for iLVL 372 BiS

WrathCalcs Reforging Output for iLVL 379 BiS (Sinestra Gear)

Last edited by Calculatéd on Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:22 pm, edited 22 times in total.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:33 am  

Badgekin

T11 Heroic Encounter Videos

First, I'd like to put a general preface to this section. As time goes on and Blizzard "adjusts" fights, skills, or otherwise alters either the dynamic of the encounters or our spec, some of the strategies shown in these videos may evolve. For instance, Wild Mushrooms would play a far more prominent role in Black Phase Maloriak if I filmed it today versus pre-4.0.6. Halfus video would likely show more of a "Solar Cleave" strategy during the front half of the fight if I filmed it today. Where those changes are significant, I may try to go back and update a video but this fact is something to be aware of generally.

Also, I make no claims to playing flawlessly or being the best moonkin out there. I also don't want posting these vids in a guide to be taken as if I feel that my way is the best or only way. It's very possible there are more optimal strategies than what I am showing. Definitely feel free to share if you have something you think works better. In addition, many of these videos are first or second kills where things aren't as clean as they could be. That said, most of these videos were top 100 parses at time of kill with some top 25s / 50s mixed in and the strategies are generally solid (if not always executed to perfection). At the end of the day, the real goal here is to give some amount of insight to these encounters as well as to what our specific role in them might look like and I do think the videos accomplish that.

First in a series of Heroic T11 vids from a Boomkin PoV with Boomkin commentary and strategy: Halfus Wyrmbreaker

Second in the Heroic T11 Series of Boomkin PoV and Commentary vids, Heroic Conclave of Wind:

Third in the Heroic T11 Series of Boomkin PoV and Commentary vids, Heroic Chimaeron:

Fourth in the Heroic T11 Series of Boomkin PoV and Commentary vids, Heroic Maloriak:

Fifth in the Heroic T11 Series of Boomkin PoV and Commentary vids, Heroic Atramedes:

Sixth in the Heroic T11 Series of Boomkin PoV and Commentary vids, Heroic Omnotron:

Seventh in the Heroic T11 Series of Boomkin PoV and Commentary vids, Heroic Nefarian:

Eighth in the Heroic T11 Series of Boomkin PoV and Commentary vids, Heroic Twilight Ascendant Council:

Last edited by Calculatéd on Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:35 pm, edited 13 times in total.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:34 am  

Badgekin

Boomkin UI Details

I'm going to start fleshing this section out to describe what's in my UI and why it's there. More to come . . .

BalancePowerTracker
I have mentioned it above in the rotation section but I can't state enough about this mod. If you don't have or don't use it, go get it. Then get accustomed to using it's predictive energy feature. The accuracy of your rotation will improve and your dps will benefit.

BalancePowerTracker

Boomkin Power Auras
My power aura export for boomkin dot, haste, int proc, etc. tracking. Download Power Auras (Power Auras Curse), type /powa at wow chat, click Import Set, copy and paste text string below into box that pops up. You may need to resize, reposition -- but this gets most of the heavy lifting done.

Set=Boomkin@
Aura[49]=Version:3.0.0W; target:true; icon:Spell_Nature_InsectSwarm; buffname:Insect Swarm; x:-23; bufftype:2; alpha:1; owntex:true; mine:true; PowerType:0; size:0.13; y:-191; timer.Texture:Original; timer.enabled:true; timer.y:-165; timer.x:-31; timer.UseOwnColor:true@
Aura[50]=Version:3.0.0W; icon:Ability_Druid_Starfall; buffname:Starfall; x:-200; groupany:false; unitn:Only for raid/group.; bufftype:7; owntex:true; stacksOperator:=; PowerType:0; size:0.13; y:-190@
Aura[51]=Version:3.0.0W; icon:Spell_Arcane_Arcane03; buffname:Starsurge; x:-235; groupany:false; unitn:Only for raid/group.; bufftype:7; owntex:true; sound:23; stacksOperator:=; PowerType:0; size:0.13; y:-190@
Aura[52]=Version:3.0.0W; icon:Spell_Nature_NaturesBlessing; buffname:Nature's Grace; x:-57; alpha:1; owntex:true; PowerType:0; size:0.13; y:-191; timer.Texture:Original; timer.enabled:true; timer.y:-165; timer.x:-65@
Aura[53]=Version:3.0.0W; target:true; icon:Ability_Mage_FireStarter; buffname:Sunfire; x:12; bufftype:2; alpha:1; owntex:true; mine:true; PowerType:0; size:0.13; y:-191; timer.Texture:Original; timer.enabled:true; timer.y:-165; timer.x:4; timer.UseOwnColor:true@
Aura[54]=Version:3.0.0W; icon:Ability_Mage_ArcaneBarrage; buffname:Shooting Stars; alpha:1; owntex:true; sound:23; PowerType:0; size:0.3; y:-3; timer.h:1.16; timer.Texture:Original; timer.enabled:true; timer.y:23; timer.x:-22@
Aura[55]=Version:3.0.0W; icon:Ability_Druid_ForceofNature; buffname:Force of Nature; x:188; groupany:false; unitn:Only for raid/group.; bufftype:7; owntex:true; stacksOperator:=; PowerType:0; size:0.13; y:-190@
Aura[56]=Version:3.0.0W; icon:Spell_Nature_Lightning; buffname:Innervate; x:223; groupany:false; unitn:Only for raid/group.; bufftype:7; owntex:true; stacksOperator:=; PowerType:0; size:0.13; y:-190@
Aura[57]=Version:3.0.0W; target:true; icon:Spell_Nature_StarFall; buffname:Moonfire; x:13; bufftype:2; alpha:1; owntex:true; mine:true; PowerType:0; size:0.13; y:-191; timer.Texture:Original; timer.enabled:true; timer.y:-166; timer.x:4; timer.UseOwnColor:true@
Aura[58]=Version:3.0.0W; anim1:2; icon:Spell_Shaman_ElementalOath; buffname:Synapse Springs; begin:1; x:82; groupany:false; unitn:Only for raid/group.; alpha:0.8; owntex:true; stacksOperator:=; PowerType:0; size:0.13; y:-191; timer.Texture:Original; timer.enabled:true; timer.y:-165; timer.x:75; timer.UseOwnColor:true@
Aura[59]=Version:3.0.0W; anim1:2; icon:Spell_Arcane_Blink; buffname:Revelation; begin:1; x:47; groupany:false; unitn:Only for raid/group.; alpha:0.8; owntex:true; stacksOperator:=; PowerType:0; size:0.13; y:-191; timer.Texture:Original; timer.enabled:true; timer.y:-165; timer.x:38; timer.UseOwnColor:true@
Aura[60]=Version:3.0.0W; anim1:2; icon:Racial_Troll_Berserk; buffname:Berserking; begin:1; x:153; groupany:false; unitn:Only for raid/group.; alpha:1; owntex:true; stacksOperator:=; exact:true; PowerType:0; size:0.13; y:-191; timer.Texture:Original; timer.enabled:true; timer.y:-166; timer.x:144; timer.UseOwnColor:true@
Aura[61]=Version:3.0.0W; anim1:2; icon:Spell_Lightning_LightningBolt01; buffname:Volcanic Destruction; begin:1; x:-129; groupany:false; unitn:Only for raid/group.; alpha:0.8; owntex:true; stacksOperator:=; PowerType:0; size:0.13; y:-190; timer.Texture:Original; timer.enabled:true; timer.y:-165; timer.x:-138; timer.UseOwnColor:true@
Aura[62]=Version:3.0.0W; anim1:2; icon:Ability_Paladin_SacredCleansing; buffname:Power Torrent; begin:1; x:-165; groupany:false; unitn:Only for raid/group.; alpha:0.8; owntex:true; stacksOperator:=; PowerType:0; size:0.13; y:-190; timer.Texture:Original; timer.enabled:true; timer.y:-165; timer.x:-173; timer.UseOwnColor:true@
Aura[63]=Version:3.0.0W; anim1:2; icon:Spell_Arcane_PrismaticCloak; buffname:Lightweave; begin:1; x:118; groupany:false; unitn:Only for raid/group.; alpha:0.8; owntex:true; stacksOperator:=; PowerType:0; size:0.13; y:-190; timer.Texture:Original; timer.enabled:true; timer.y:-165; timer.x:110; timer.UseOwnColor:true@
Aura[64]=Version:3.0.0W; icon:Spell_Nature_AstralRecalGroup; buffname:Astral Alignment; x:-94; alpha:1; owntex:true; sound:23; PowerType:0; size:0.13; y:-191; timer.Texture:Original; timer.enabled:true; timer.cents:false; timer.y:-165; timer.x:-100; stacks.enabled:true; stacks.r:0.0275; stacks.b:0.2863; stacks.g:0.0275; stacks.y:-166; stacks.x:-84; stacks.h:0.75; stacks.Texture:Digital@
Aura[65]=Version:3.0.0W; icon:druid_ability_wildmushroom_b; buffname:Wild Mushroom: Detonate; x:272; bufftype:15; owntex:true; isResting:0; inVehicle:0; size:0.17; y:-133; ismounted:0; timer.h:1.16; timer.enabled:true; timer.y:-133; timer.x:263@
Aura[66]=Version:3.0.0W; icon:druid_ability_wildmushroom_a; buffname:1; x:317; bufftype:19; owntex:true; isResting:0; inVehicle:0; size:0.17; y:-133; ismounted:0; customsound:c:\powasound\concentration.wav@
Aura[67]=Version:3.0.0W; icon:druid_ability_wildmushroom_a; buffname:2; x:362; bufftype:19; owntex:true; isResting:0; inVehicle:0; size:0.17; y:-133; ismounted:0@
Aura[68]=Version:3.0.0W; icon:druid_ability_wildmushroom_a; buffname:3; x:407; bufftype:19; owntex:true; isResting:0; inVehicle:0; size:0.17; y:-133; ismounted:0@
Aura[69]=Version:3.0.0W; icon:Achievement_WorldEvent_Lunar; buffname:Lunar Shower; x:-220; owntex:true; isResting:0; inVehicle:0; size:0.24; y:-125; ismounted:0; timer.h:1.06; timer.enabled:true; timer.y:-129; timer.x:-277; stacks.enabled:true; stacks.y:-110; stacks.x:-203; stacks.h:1.17@
Aura[70]=Version:3.0.0W; icon:ability_mage_timewarp; buffname:Bloodlust/Time Warp/Heroism; x:-184; owntex:true; isResting:0; inVehicle:0; size:0.25; y:-65; ismounted:0; timer.enabled:true; timer.y:-85; timer.x:-179@
Aura[71]=Version:3.0.0W; icon:Spell_Nature_StoneClawTotem; buffname:Barkskin; x:120; owntex:true; isResting:0; inVehicle:0; size:0.25; y:-65; ismounted:0; timer.enabled:true; timer.y:-69; timer.x:111@
Aura[72]=Version:3.0.0W; icon:inv_potiond_3; buffname:Volcanic Power; x:-120; owntex:true; isResting:0; inVehicle:0; size:0.25; y:-65; ismounted:0; timer.enabled:true; timer.y:-85; timer.x:-117@

Boss Event Power Auras
This next set is made up of boss-event-related auras (which I find better / more noticeable than just a boss mod alert). Same process of importing as above:

Set=Boss Events@
Aura[73]=Version:3.0.0W; b:0.9804; g:0.9098; icon:Spell_Holy_ConsumeMagic; buffname:Engulfing Magic; begin:1; x:-234; bufftype:2; alpha:1; aurastext:PACT! MOVE CENTER; owntex:true; duration:2; PowerType:0; aurastextfont:18; size:0.68; y:224; customsound:c; anim2:1@
Aura[74]=Version:3.0.0W; g:0.9647; icon:INV_Elemental_Primal_Water; buffname: Waterlogged; r:0.949; begin:1; x:-239; bufftype:2; alpha:1; aurastext:PACT! MOVE CENTER; owntex:true; duration:2; PowerType:0; aurastextfont:18; size:0.66; y:228; anim2:1@
Aura[75]=Version:3.0.0W; b:0.9255; g:0.949; icon:inv_rod_enchantedcobalt; buffname:Lightning Rod; r:0.9608; begin:1; x:-236; bufftype:2; alpha:1; aurastext:PACT! MOVE CENTER; owntex:true; duration:2; PowerType:0; aurastextfont:18; size:0.66; y:228; anim2:1@
Aura[76]=Version:3.0.0W; b:0.9961; icon:Spell_Shaman_StaticShock; buffname:Lightning Conductor; r:0.9608; begin:1; x:-238; bufftype:2; alpha:1; aurastext:PACT! MOVE CENTER; owntex:true; duration:2; sound:11; PowerType:0; aurastextfont:18; size:0.68; y:230; anim2:1@
Aura[77]=Version:3.0.0W; b:0.9961; icon:Ability_Hunter_MasterMarksman; buffname:Acquiring Target; r:0.9608; begin:1; x:-233; bufftype:2; alpha:1; aurastext:PACT! MOVE CENTER; owntex:true; duration:2; sound:11; PowerType:0; aurastextfont:18; size:0.69; y:225; anim2:1@
Aura[78]=Version:3.0.0W; b:0.9961; icon:ability_vehicle_sonicshockwave; buffname:Tracking; r:0.9608; begin:1; x:-238; bufftype:2; alpha:1; aurastext:PACT! MOVE CENTER; owntex:true; duration:2; sound:11; PowerType:0; aurastextfont:18; size:0.65; y:230; anim2:1@
Aura[79]=Version:3.0.0W; b:0.9961; icon:spell_fire_twilightpyroblast; buffname:Twilight Meteorite; r:0.9608; begin:1; x:-238; bufftype:2; alpha:1; aurastext:PACT! MOVE CENTER; owntex:true; duration:2; sound:11; PowerType:0; aurastextfont:18; size:0.68; y:230; anim2:1@
Aura[80]=Version:3.0.0W; b:0.9961; icon:spell_fire_twilightnova; buffname:Blackout; r:0.9608; begin:1; x:-238; bufftype:2; alpha:1; aurastext:PACT! MOVE CENTER; owntex:true; duration:2; sound:11; PowerType:0; aurastextfont:18; size:0.68; y:230; anim2:1; timer.h:2.14; timer.enabled:true; timer.y:122; timer.x:-250@
Aura[81]=Version:3.0.0W; b:0.9961; icon:Ability_Druid_TwilightsWrath; buffname:Twilight Shift; r:0.9608; begin:1; x:-237; bufftype:2; alpha:1; aurastext:PACT! MOVE CENTER; owntex:true; duration:2; sound:11; PowerType:0; aurastextfont:18; size:0.68; y:230; anim2:1; stacks.enabled:true; stacks.y:168; stacks.x:-177; stacks.h:1.81@
Aura[82]=Version:3.0.0W; b:0.9961; icon:Ability_Warlock_Eradication; buffname:Dominion; r:0.9608; begin:1; x:-238; bufftype:2; alpha:1; aurastext:PACT! MOVE CENTER; owntex:true; duration:2; sound:11; PowerType:0; aurastextfont:18; size:0.68; y:230; anim2:1@
Aura[83]=Version:3.0.0W; b:0.9961; anim1:2; icon:Spell_Arcane_FocusedPower; buffname:Stolen Power; r:0.9608; begin:1; x:-238; alpha:1; aurastext:PACT! MOVE CENTER; owntex:true; duration:25; speed:0.52; sound:11; PowerType:0; aurastextfont:18; size:0.68; y:230; anim2:2; timer.h:1.64; timer.enabled:true; timer.y:165; timer.x:-229@
Aura[84]=Version:3.0.0W; b:0.9961; anim1:2; icon:Spell_Fire_ElementalDevastation; buffname:Explosive Cinders; r:0.9608; begin:1; x:-241; bufftype:2; alpha:1; aurastext:PACT! MOVE CENTER; owntex:true; duration:10; sound:11; PowerType:0; aurastextfont:18; size:0.68; y:230; anim2:2; timer.h:2.14; timer.enabled:true; timer.y:126; timer.x:-253@
Aura[85]=Version:3.0.0W; b:0.9961; icon:Spell_Shaman_LavaFlow; buffname:Magma; r:0.9608; begin:1; x:-241; bufftype:2; alpha:1; aurastext:PACT! MOVE CENTER; owntex:true; duration:2; sound:11; PowerType:0; aurastextfont:18; size:0.68; y:0; anim2:1@
Aura[86]=Version:3.0.0W; g:0.9765; icon:Ability_Creature_Poison_05; buffname:Fixate; r:0.9765; x:-242; bufftype:2; alpha:1; aurastext:PACT! MOVE CENTER; owntex:true; duration:2; PowerType:0; aurastextfont:18; size:0.68; y:230; anim2:1@
Aura[87]=Version:3.0.0W; icon:Spell_Shadow_AntiMagicShell; buffname:Image of Immortality; x:185; owntex:true; isResting:0; inVehicle:0; size:0.25; y:-65; ismounted:0; timer.b:0.0039; timer.g:0.0039; timer.h:0.93; timer.enabled:true; timer.r:0.0039; timer.y:-67; timer.x:186@
Aura[88]=Version:3.0.0W; b:0.9804; g:0.9098; icon:Spell_Frost_WizardMark; buffname:Frost Beacon; begin:1; x:-234; bufftype:2; alpha:1; aurastext:PACT! MOVE CENTER; owntex:true; duration:2; PowerType:0; aurastextfont:18; size:0.68; y:224; customsound:c; anim2:1@
Aura[89]=Version:3.0.0W; b:0.9804; g:0.9098; icon:ability_vehicle_oiljets; buffname:Corruption: Sickness; begin:1; x:-234; bufftype:2; alpha:1; aurastext:PACT! MOVE CENTER; owntex:true; duration:2; PowerType:0; aurastextfont:18; size:0.68; y:224; customsound:c; anim2:1; timer.h:1.86; timer.enabled:true; timer.y:120; timer.x:-240@
Aura[90]=Version:3.0.0W; b:0.9961; icon:Spell_Nature_EarthBind; buffname:Gravity Core; r:0.9608; begin:1; x:-238; bufftype:2; alpha:1; aurastext:PACT! MOVE CENTER; owntex:true; duration:30; sound:11; PowerType:0; aurastextfont:18; size:0.68; y:230; anim2:1; timer.h:2.14; timer.enabled:true; timer.y:122; timer.x:-250@
Aura[91]=Version:3.0.0W; b:0.9961; icon:Spell_Nature_LightningOverload; buffname:Static Overload; r:0.9608; begin:1; x:-238; bufftype:2; alpha:1; aurastext:PACT! MOVE CENTER; owntex:true; duration:30; sound:11; PowerType:0; aurastextfont:18; size:0.68; y:230; anim2:1; timer.h:2.14; timer.enabled:true; timer.y:122; timer.x:-250@

Other UI Detail

Here's a shot of my UI folder (it's maybe from around mid-February) but most things are still the same. I put orange boxes around the stuff that is very visible in the UI:

Also, fwiw, I posted my UI folders up to mediafire here:

http://www.mediafire.com/?59cceqccazmgs7i

This is not a packaged UI. This is just my folder structure but if you look at How To Copy-Backup Your Interface, you'll see it's pretty easy to just drag and drop the relevant stuff into your structure. My advice would be to backup your interface as noted, THEN copy my settings in. Also, be aware I run 1920x1280 and if you run a different resolution, you'd probably have to do a good bit of fiddling to make things look the same. Finally, my UI folders are "sold as-is" :) I'm not in the business of tech support. I'm putting them here mostly because I constantly get the request.

Last edited by Calculatéd on Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:12 am, edited 5 times in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Calculated Balance Pve Guide 4.0.6
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:09 am  

Badgekin

Experimental (Handle with Care)

Stacking Mastery After We Reach 1929 Haste
Mastery breakpoints are very frequent (about every 89 points). Haste breakpoints are far more spread out. The last significant haste breakpoint we'll hit this tier is 1929 haste. The next major breakpoint for haste is ~2800 haste which we aren't going to reasonably reach this tier. So . . . should we stop stacking haste after 1929? and perhaps prioritize our next best secondary stat Mastery? If all we think about is single-target, stand-and-turret, the answer is no. We should continue to prioritize haste even after we cross that 1929 breakpoint as it still our best scaling single-target, stand-and-turret secondary throughput stat even when isn't adding extra dot ticks.

However, if we begin to add a second target (or third or fourth), after 1929 Haste, for this tier, putting points into Mastery looks to begin to exceed Haste in terms of dps value. This thought process is in the very experimental stages and I haven't formalized it in the main section of the guide because I'm still not sure it's a good idea. I am nearly convinced the Mastery will provide more throughput than Haste after 1929 on fights with more than 1 significant target and other tests and mathematical simulations seem to agree. The real question is whether that's the dps that matters.

In other words, I am fairly confident that stacking Mastery after crossing the 1929 haste break point would up my overall dps on significant multi-target fights like:

Halfus, Valiona and Theralion, Twilight Ascendant Council, Cho'gall, Sinestra, Magmaw, Omnotron, and Maloriak.

I am unsure if it would increase my overall dps on more predominantly single-target fights like:

Chimaeron, Atramedes, Al,'Akir, Nefarian, and Conclave.

That said, the key word there is overall dps. Let's take a for instance: I listed Twilight Ascendant Council as a fight where stacking Mastery after I reached 1929 haste would up overall dps. But, most of the reason for that is P1 and P2 which are honestly more about execution and staying alive than dps output. P3 burn phase where DPS output begins to matter is all about single-target DPS. So, if I up my overall encounter e-peen meter dps at the expense of my critical burn phase DPS, we should agree that is not a good thing.

This is the part I need to start putting some thought around -- are there more overall cases with critical dps push phases that are multi-target or more overall cases with critical dps phases that are single target? Or, even what is/are the encounter(s) that someone is currently pushing progression on. For instance, if Heroic Valiona and Theralion was your progression push for the week, I could say reasonably, "Yes, you should go reforge with this priority: get your Mastery over the highest break point you can while still keeping Haste over 1929 and Spell Hit above 17%." I would feel confident that this was helpful and good advice. If you were pushing Heroic Chimaeron however, that same statement would be patently bad advice.

The simple answer I guess would be to just keep spamming haste as our highest priority stat and ignore the break points. The complex and more accurate answer, as is usually the case, is "it depends".

Some additional detail on this topic can be found at EJ (linking my post that started the conversation and then you can see the follow-on responses as well):

http://elitistjerks.com/f73/t110353-bal ... ost1888984

Last edited by Calculatéd on Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:46 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:09 am  

Badgekin

LAST RESERVE

Feel free to comment, discuss, add a differing opinion, correct information, etc. One of the main reasons I ported this to TMR is that it's prior home on a guild forum where people were not able to comment easily stymied useful discussion.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:31 am  

Orbital Owl Cannon
pbguild: Crisp
pbrace: Night Elf
pbgender: Female
pbclass: Druid

Awesome guide! I'm so glad you decided to post this; and with so much detail! :3

Profile My Photo Gallery  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:07 am  
Badgekin
pbguild: Haunted Driftwood
pbrace: Tauren
pbarmorycharlink: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Crushridge&cn=Jodah

I would add Glyph of Solar Beam as one of the optional for major. Solar beam itself is pretty situational but if you have some trash-lazy dps that don't interrupt regularly its not bad. It also makes for an emergency CC of casters when combined with roots (The main reason I miss instant roots!). Also may want to add a macro section (unless I am blind and missed it, in which case feel free to slap me). I know we had a thread about it awhile back somewhere around here.

Other than that it looks good. Thanks for posting it, hopefully it will thin out the silly easy questions people come here for.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:40 pm  

Orbital Owl Cannon
pbguild: Tortured
pblevel: 3
pbarmoryguildlink: http://www.wowarmory.com/guild-info.xml?r=Skywall&gn=Tortured
pbarmorycharlink: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Skywall&cn=Teranin

Breads wrote:
Awesome guide! I'm so glad you decided to post this; and with so much detail! :3

I find myself agreeing with ye olde esteemed colleague floof.

Post subject: Re: Calculated Balance PvE Guide 4.0.6
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:04 pm  

Godkin
pbguild: Unbreakable
pbarmoryguildlink: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/guild/frostmourne/Unbreakable/?character=bearnaked
pbarmorycharlink: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/frostmourne/Bearnaked/simple

Great stuff, Calculated. Might be worth advertising the guide on the wowforums a little (hint, hint to my moderators).

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:11 am  
KFC

Great guide, and great videos. They have helped very much.

Thank you

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:53 am  

Badgekin
pbguild: YARG
pblevel: 80

Aww...you took it off the guild website? It was so much easier to read there. Wall of white text hurts my eyes. =(

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:25 am  

Badgekin

I always thought Intent forum text was white -- I guess as I look at it now it's more grey. There may be some board setting preference on TMR that would let you change theme/look -- not sure. Other than that, the guide had outgrown it's home on a guild board and needed to be ported. Also, I recently moved on from Intent to raid on a PST schedule so it was a good inflection point in terms of timing to move the guide to a new location.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:27 pm  

Badgekin
pbguild: YARG
pblevel: 80

Well grats on your new guild then. They're very lucky to have you!

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 ... 8  Next