The Moonkin Repository

Discussions, information and links to all things Moonkin
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:50 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 203 posts ]  Go to page 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Owlkin Frenzy And You
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:19 am  
Boomkin

Now, pre-ICC it didn't proc much at all, but seeing as 2/3 brambles sucks and genesis 2/5 is like a 10dps buff, I like my owlkin frenzy more than them. ICC encounters have a lot of damage being thrown out though, most is unavoidable or at least hard to avoid. I've had owlkin frenzy popping up like a whack-a-mole recently and I highly encourage you guys to try it out. Let's break down some scenarios.

Lord Marrowgar: Bone Storm, the fires. Okay standing in fires isn't a good thing, but if your healers don't absolutely suck let's be honest, you're gonna finish that cast.

Lady Deathwhisperer: Frostbolt Volley in P2, frostbolts in P1, Death and Decay ticks. ^As stated above with fire but replace wording with DnD.^ The ghosts also proc it.

Gunship: Axe throwers, I'm sure rocketeers do but I don't get hit by those.

Saurfat: Blood boil, if you fail and get hit by a mutant.

I'm not trying to say that you should go and try to get hit. That's just dumb. But, even if you play extremely cautiously this talent is very good. I myself like max single target deepz and this would be the best talent for it. I don't think anything is wrong with taking 1 fire tick so long as you get the hell out after your cast. (It'll give the healers something to do). Anyhow I prolly see it proc 3-5 times on Marrowgar, about 10 times on Deathwhisperer. Haven't really noticed much on Gunship or Saurfang though. Check it out you will be suprised.

Artofficial-Kil'Jaeden

Last edited by Teranin on Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
I'm not interested in personal attacks/defense. The rest of the topic is interesting. Let's keep it that way, aye?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Owlkin Frenzy And You
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:35 am  

Badgekin
pbguild: Sereníty
pblevel: 85
pbrace: Night Elf
pbgender: Female
pbclass: Druid
pbarmoryguildlink: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/guild/frostmane/Seren%C3%ADty/
pbarmorycharlink: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/frostmane/Kaytie/

Just wondering, are you playing 3/3 OF, or have you noticed a difference between having 1 or 2 points in it only? A couple of times I've considered popping a "floating" point in there, especially as you say with the massive amounts of raid damage flying about now, but was never sure if just one point would be worth it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:40 am  

Orbital Owl Cannon
pbguild: Crisp

Chimono wrote:
A lot of moonkin have been calling me an idiot recently for having owlkin frenzy. Well, shame on you, idiots

So, you call us idiots and to try it? After trying it myself from Naxx through ToTGc, I wont do it. I have other points I like to use for my own fun. Some people do use Owlkin frenzy because technically you have 2 free points in your normal raid spec anyway. Others like to completely min max and go brambles or 1 point into Genesis. Its all up to them as long as you have the major talents maxed out.

Profile My Photo Gallery  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:29 am  
Badgekin

Chimono, your words would carry more weight if you had some parses to display to back up your assertions. Would you care to share some with us? Usually when I come to these forums and say something I present a parse as my side of the story, to at least show that I have some data to back up what I'm saying.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:35 am  
Boomkin

No, I use 2/3. This would definitely be the best for min maxing. Even only a single starfire crit with owlkin frenzy per minute will increase your damage more than genesis would. Genesis is roughly like a 10 dps increase for me, maybe a bit more raid buffed. A single starfire crit with owlkin frenzy per minute would be 10% of whatever you hit for /60. Of course, you're bound to get more than one starfire off during owlkin frenzy. Foofy I don't care if you try it, that's your loss. I'd probably say it's better to try it now while content is a joke than to wait till heroic ICC when you will be more bias about your decision. At your level of gear I'd say you're critting enough and have enough intellect to not have to worry about mana that you could even drop 1 point into it taken outta moonglow. You may raid typhoon for saurfang, idk.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:40 am  

Orbital Owl Cannon

Chimono wrote:
No, I use 2/3. This would definitely be the best for min maxing. Even only a single starfire crit with owlkin frenzy per minute will increase your damage more than genesis would. Genesis is roughly like a 10 dps increase for me, maybe a bit more raid buffed. A single starfire crit with owlkin frenzy per minute would be 10% of whatever you hit for /60. Of course, you're bound to get more than one starfire off during owlkin frenzy. Foofy I don't care if you try it, that's your loss. I'd probably say it's better to try it now while content is a joke than to wait till heroic ICC when you will be more bias about your decision. At your level of gear I'd say you're critting enough and have enough intellect to not have to worry about mana that you could even drop 1 point into it taken outta moonglow. You may raid typhoon for saurfang, idk.
I actually have had typhoon since Naxx. I enjoyed typhooning people to their deaths. The Moonglow was there for the extra haste I'm gaining in ICC since we're going to become haste heavy again, even with large amounts of crit. I tested out owlkin several times. I gave parses. To this point its more of a waste of gold to me and fun. Who doesn't like to Typhoon people to their deaths? Sure, we can't knock them off mounts anymore but seeing a flagged warrior on a high area, sitting...easy kill. Or a hunter who thinks I didn't see him shadowmeld on the top of the WG keep.

My main point is, not everyone will have the same outcome as you. Telling people they should get it with no math of your own to back it up is where I am coming in and stating such. I don't mind if civil banter happens, but as soon as someone tips the scale and starts with name calling; I'm stepping in and putting my hoof down.

Edit: I forgot to add on another raid use for Typhoon. While many people use it (Me included) for Saurfang, its also great for Heroic 25m Anub'arak. A glyph'd typhoon to keep the adds from being knocked back is almost a 100% NG proc. That extra haste with a hurricane on the adds is a great thing to have. Of course, now I knock them back on purpose to mess with our tanks. :D

Profile My Photo Gallery  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:56 am  
Boomkin

Mmm, Owlkin frenzy doesn't show up in recount as far as I've noticed. I don't run with addons much as I think they're crutches to an already simplistic game. I'll see if it shows up in a WOL or something. I know on Deathwhisperer alone it's been the breaking point between first place dps and 2nd place. I'd probably have measured it around 200-300 dps just winging it off the top of my head. It had to have procced 7-10 times, only a few times overlapping. Besides that damage increase the no pushback also helps. I know you're shaking your head to this because you probably don't like me and your past experiences have labeled this talent as shit, and I'll agree with you somewhat; however, ICC has a lot of incoming damage that you can't easily/at all avoid which helps make this talent shine. Another fun thing I remember about owlkin frenzy...I had the hunter pet from faction champ's nibbling on me the whole fight and proccing owlkin frenzy 100% of the time almost and then a mage tried to sheep it and I had to yell at him to stop he was increasing my dps. Ontop of it all it restores about 600 mana so you don't completely lose out.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:02 pm  

Orbital Owl Cannon

At this point in the game, no one should be really running out of mana unless you are shifting out to heal. I sat and looked at my moonglow talent and I'm really wondering if I should take it. I end fights with 100% mana. The lowest I've ended with is 78% in a 10m with no replenisher.

Owlkin frenzy is what you make of it. I won't lie and neither has anyone else in saying that the uptime for some is alot different then others. I've looked at your spec, you have everything you need and for your two free points you did 2/3 owlkin frenzy. Thats your choice and no one can hate you for it. Others however just want to put their points in other places. Brambles while you dislike them, are good for treants, especially when you have a phase they get lusted and the full duration on.

You also have to remember everyone does fights differently. Do you sit on DeathWhisper the whole time? Do you turn and kill adds? Are you a CC person for when someone gets Mind Controlled? Everyone does this fight differently so saying you are top 1-2 and that is always what makes or breaks you needs to have a bit more information behind it. The reason being is; I don't want someone who has never done the fight or is new to the spec to pick up 2/3 and end up complaining about how they can't hit the numbers they saw someone else say they hit the numbers.

I also only labeled a few posts. I also understand some people come here thinking one thing but aren't really open minded to others. I'm one of those people I'm more than forgiving and am willing to accept anyone as long as they understand where I am coming from with my own logic.

Profile My Photo Gallery  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:16 pm  
Boomkin

Cool, and thanks. I'm pretty much an asshole (That'll get smurfed) when it comes to this game. I don't really get assigned roles when I raid, I do what I want lol. What I want is usually to just shit on the boss 95% of the time. There are a lot of ways to get by though with doing single target most the time. I usually just position myself close enough to the left on D-Whisp that I can starfall the adds and still hit her at the same time. 4 targets is of course better than one. I think the only thing that would make/break owlkin frenzy in this fight is if you were cc'ing. If you're killing adds and switching properly you should have minimal downtime in between casts. There is no reason not to continue casting unless you're going to be spell reflected. Even so, I still do think from a purely dps standpoint owlkin frenzy is the best choice for dps in ICC.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:19 pm  

Orbital Owl Cannon

Yeah, alot of people have crummy roles. Me? I got to sit on the boss once and boy was I like "LOL MELEE WHOS ONTOP NOW?"

Now I help kill the casters, cyclone MC'd people, and then attack the boss. I'm ok with that, I enjoy helping out the raid. But like I said, everyone has a different role and not every guild uses the same strat. So when one thing may work for you, another may not.

Profile My Photo Gallery  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:22 pm  

Orbital Owl Cannon
pbguild: Tortured
pblevel: 3
pbrace: Tauren
pbarmoryguildlink: http://www.wowarmory.com/guild-info.xml?r=Skywall&gn=Tortured
pbarmorycharlink: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Skywall&cn=Teranin

Err... Oddly enough, I just realized that we're in the wrong forum with this topic.

Hah.

Off we go to Talents and Specs ;)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:28 pm  
Boomkin

It's not the melee anymore, it's the god damn rogues. Kids with like 400 gear score less (And I know that's a crappy way to measure gear/skill but I got to 5500 gs whoring stats not GS) sit there and outdps you and you're just like..."wtf?". A rogue in said level of gear shouldn't be doing 9k dps, lol. Hell if I hit 8k on recount I'm dancing through the house with Lil Wayne, "I got 10 bathrooms I can <salisbury steak> all day," lol. At times I just like to see my dps increase, but beating everyone else on the meters is always a rewarding feeling.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:34 pm  
Boomkin

BTW I just thought of something glorious. I'm gonna' get on my alt on a different server and acquire as many primordial saronites as able then just transfer them to my druid. <3 Tichondrius and all of its ninjas, I'm like any other fish there.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:00 pm  
Badgekin

The problem as I see it with OF is that for me the points that I would need to use would need to come out of gale winds or typhoon.

I am currently required to spec into typhoon for Saurfang. So the question is then Gale Winds VS OF. That's going to be a big debate, because it's going to change a lot based on which fight you are doing, and how you do that fight.

On DeathWhisper we changed up our strat a bit and now I use hurricane. I'd rather have gale winds than OF, especially given it's synergy with typhoon. I do not have the luxury of 2 moonkin specs, so I decided for the moment to stick with the one I have. I keep typhoon glyphed for the other bosses, and unglyph it for saurfang.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:17 pm  
Boomkin

Find a gun and shoot your raid leader for by far having the lamest jobs.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 203 posts ]  Go to page 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 ... 14  Next